A simple hearty soup which benefits from a longer cooking time to develop the flavour of the vegetables.
Ready in 45 minutes minutes Serves 2
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ stick celery finely chopped (optional)
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 1 tin butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes or fresh equivalent
- handful of fresh or frozen spinach
- handful of orzo pasta (optional)
- pinch of sugar
- 600ml water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil to serve (optional)
- fresh oregano or basil to serve (optional)
- Place the ingredients in a large saucepan, bring to the boil then simmer on a low heat for at least 40 minutes. Add more water if required.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and fresh oregano or basil.
Good served with fresh crusty bread.