An old English recipe which originated in Malvern. Dairy-free and also gluten free.
Ready in 30 minutes Serves 4 to 6
- 450g/1lb cooking apples
- 25g/1 oz granulated sugar
- 25g/1 oz margarine
- zest of half a lemon
- 600ml/1 pint custard
- 3 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- extra margarine (approx 15g)
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan and add the sliced apples.
- Add the lemon zest and sugar and simmer until the apples are cooked.
- Put the cooked apples in the bottom of a dish.
- Preheat the grill 200°/gas Mark 6.
- Make the custard and pour it over the top of the apples.
- Mix the Demerara sugar and cinnamon together for the topping, and then sprinkle it over the top of the custard.
- Dot the pudding with small pieces of margarine.
- Place the pudding under a hot grill.
- Cook until it bubbles and the sugar is caramelised.
- Serve hot.